Since last Sunday I’ve been having trouble connecting into the office from home via Citrix. Last Thursday everything was working fine, but when I went to connect on Sunday, the connection failed almost immedately. I tried installing a newest Citrix client and it still failed. It turns out (thanks to Carrie for the info) that the MSLicensing/Store value in my registry had someone “gone bad”. In the end, all I had to do was delete the value from the registry, and the next time I tried to connect it patched up the registry and I could get in just fine. Totally bizarre, but at least everything is working again now.

Along the way to solving this problem, I found two other problems. One of them I solved and the other I still don’t exactly understand.

The first problem started when I installed the latest Citrix client. When the attempted connection failed, I got a dialog box saying that the connection dropped, and it had a button to cancel. The only problem is that clicking the cancel button did not cancel the connection attempt. In a matter of seconds, I ended up with 30+ connection attempts all going on simultaneously. I ended up having to kill the Citrix process using task manager. I never figured out exactly what was going on, so I just reinstalled the earlier Citrix client again and the cancel connection button worked just fine.

I found the second problem when I went to reinstall the older Citrix client. Even though it is a 32 bit client, it still apparently has portions of the install and/or client that run using 16 bit components. When I tried to run the installer, I got error messages regarding the Windows 16 bit subsystem and the install would not complete. After some Google searching on the error messages, I found out that when you uninstall Symantec Norton Antivirus, it can leave behind some files and registry entries that leave the Windows 16 bit subsystem in a bad state. About a year ago, I switched from Norton Antivirus to Trend Micro (which I like much better, by the way, except their firewall component is horrendous to the point of being unusable), so that was the source of the problem. I found a Microsoft Knowledgebase article on how to clean up the registry and files, and then the install ran just fine.

Advertisements